Tuesday 21 November 2017

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN "TO" AND "FOR" IN ENGLISH

1. Use TO in these cases:
Motive/Reason (with verb)        
·         I went to the store to buy milk.
What time it is    
·         It was a quarter to six when I left.
Destination          
·         I shall go to London next month.
Distance               
·         It’s about ten kilometers from my house to my school.
Comparing          
·         prefer this dress to the one you were wearing yesterday.
Giving   
·         He gave the pen to his friend.

2. Use FOR in these cases:
Motive/Reason (with noun)       
·         I went to the store for milk.
Period of time   
·         The couple took the house for 2 years.
Benefits              
·         A win is always good for morale.
Function – with verb (-ing form)               
·         She had a special talent for learning languages.
Agree with          
·         Are you for or against his idea?
Doing something to help someone          
·         Could you carry my case for me?

ENCONTRADO EN: www.eslbuzz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT